From the Physician’s Desk … Weekly Blog!
Don’t forget to visit … www.LegacyEducators.org and click on “Cancer Information”
November is Diabetes Awareness Month
Diabetes is a very common diagnosis in our community…and also in my family. My mother has diabetes, my maternal grandmother had diabetes, my father is teetering close to a diagnosis and my paternal grandmother has diabetes, with a foot ulcer (sore) that is very, very slow to heal. The buck stops with that generation…type 2 diabetes can be prevented! Why are healthcare providers so concern about diabetes?
- Diabetes is the # 1 cause of blindness in adults 20-74yo
- Diabetes is the #1 cause of chronic kidney disease, that may lead to Dialysis
- Diabetes is the #1 cause of foot amputation
- Neuropathy (numbness in fingers & toes) and much more…
Diabetes is one of the leading causes of disability and death in the United States. One in 11 Americans have diabetes — that’s more than 29 million people! And, another 86 million adults in the United States are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes: Pre-Diabetes statistics is 1 in 3. Are you pre-diabetic?
- If you are overweight,
- If you have high blood pressure, or
- If you are age 45 or older, you are at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
The good news is that making healthy changes can greatly lower your risk. To help prevent type 2 diabetes:
- Watch your weight
- Eat healthy
- Get more physical activity
Read more HERE – Soo, I’m Diabetic, what’s the big deal about my feet?
Read more HERE – sugar, the bitter side of sweet
10 Ways to Prevent Diabetes
Ipsa Scientia Potestas est ——— Knowledge itself is power!
Don’t forget to visit my website … www.LegacyEducators.org
Your Family Friendly Doc … Dr McGann!
See you next week…